18 December 2008

Christmas Dinner Pies

In a moment of inspiration I created this little 'Dinner-in-a-Pie' recipe. It's best made after a meal where you just cook extra to bake into the pies...Enjoy!


Ingredients - Makes 12
1 Cup/250g Plain flour
2 Tblsp/25g Icing sugar
1/2 Cup/125g Softened butter
Grated zest 1 lemon
2 Eggs (1 egg for glaze)
12 Tblsp Gravy
12 Tblsp mashed potato
12 Slices of cooked carrot
12 Tblsp Peas (frozen is fine)
12 Small pieces of meat
12 Tblsp Cranberry sauce


Mix the flour, icing sugar and butter to form fine crumbs. Add the zest (you can add the juice too if you like or use it for a nice chilled drink) and 1 egg and mix thoroughly. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm it up a bit. (It will keep in the fridge for 3 days or the freezer for one month)
Preheat the oven to 190 Celsius. Lightly flour the work surface and roll the dough to $1 thickness. Cut out 12 rounds to fit your pie/muffin tray (I find a cup just larger than a pint glass rim works for me but I guess aiming for around 8cm radius is good). If any dough is left over you can cut shapes to go on top or make a mini Christmas Dinner sweet Pizza with it as I did.
Place your rounds into the pie/muffin tin but no squashing them down in the pan, lightly poke them in so the sit in enough to stay, that way they'll be easier to get out. (I hope that made sense) Fill the pies with the rest of the ingredients in the same order as above and finish with a glaze of 1 beaten egg. Cook for 15 minutes or until golden. Leave in the tray for 5-10 minutes before attempting to remove. I remove mine by running a sharp knife around the edge and then levering them out, though I shouldn't suggest this as it damages the non stick in the tray - any ideas would be welcomed.

I hope you have fun making them and enjoy eating them.
Let me know if you try it :)

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online